Monthly Service Opportunity
K12 Care for Your Community Campaign provides students a monthly opportunity to participate in local Community Service Projects. Students benefit by learning the importance of serving in the community and partnering with local charities. Check out our monthly service opportunities below to learn how to get involved and see the amazing work Alabama Virtual Academy at Eufaula City students are doing.
Update your Twitter and Facebook profile with the Care for Your Community Twibbon!
Please track all community service efforts and hours here:
Share photos of your community service on our school Facebook page:
JUNE – Join the Fight Against Childhood Cancer
Help change the lives of children with cancer, raise awareness, and empower others to help find a cure by partnering—alone or as a group—with Alex’s Lemonade Stand Foundation.
Set Up a Lemonade Stand
Be part of a national movement to fight childhood cancer—one cup at a time! Visit the foundation's website for all the details.
- Choose your location, date and time, and register your Alex’s Lemonade Stand. (We encourage children to participate every step of the way, they will just need an adult to help them register.)
- You can choose to have an event kit mailed to you and you’ll get a personal event coach from Alex’s Lemonade Stand to help answer your questions.
- Take photos of your lemonade stand and share them on your school Facebook page by June 30.
- Be sure to tell us about your efforts by completing the Community Service Survey!
ALVA Community Service Project-Dothan
June 5, 2018 @ 10:30AM – Kiwanis Park
Join us in the park and support our ALVA Cares Community Service project. This month, we're featuring Alex's Lemonade Stand and fighting Childhood Cancer. Swing by between 10:30AM and noon for some lemon activities and enjoy some lemonade. Feel free to bring your lunch and hang out in the park or walk the trails with friends afterwards.
A school representative will be on-site to answer questions about enrollment with our school.
All are welcome! Register today!
MAY – Stamp Out Hunger Food Drive
You're invited to participate in the largest one-day food drive in the nation!
Saturday, May 12 is the National Association of Letter Carriers’ Stamp Out Hunger® Food Drive. On that day, letter carriers all over the country will collect non-perishable food donations left by mailboxes.
This is a wonderful opportunity for you, individually or as part of a group, to show support for local families in need. Watch this video to see the difference you could make.
Fill a bag or box with non-perishable food items. Leave it by your mailbox on Saturday, May 12 for your letter carrier to pick up. Or organize a food drive in your community and deliver food to a local food bank or shelter.
In May, ALVA students donated canned and non-perishable food at each of their school outings and dined out to raise funds to stamp out hunger.
ALVA Family Dine In - Mobile
Wednesday, May 23, 2018 @ 06:00PM - 08:00PM
ALVA Cares! May Community Service Here's a great opportunity to enjoy an evening out. Families are invited to join us as we Dine In to help Stamp Out Hunger in Mobile. ALVA teachers will be there to welcome you and 25% of your tab will be donated directly to the charity of the month, the American Red Cross. Wear your ALVA shirts to show school pride.
APRIL – Pinwheels for Prevention®
April is National Child Abuse Prevention Month, and we invite you to show your support for our nation's children by making your own pinwheel display!
Pinwheels are the national symbol of child abuse prevention and a visible reminder of the happy and healthy childhood that all children deserve.
Make or purchase inexpensive pinwheels and create a pinwheel garden in your yard or at a local business (with permission). Or you can make a Pinwheels for Prevention poster to display on your front porch or window, and be sure to include your school's name!
MARCH – Read Across America Book Drive
March Read Across America is an annual reading motivation and awareness program that calls for every child in every community to celebrate reading on March 2, the birthday of beloved children's author Dr. Seuss.
Option 1: Book Donation
- Share your love of reading by donating gently used books to the local library.
Option 2: Volunteer
- Volunteer to read a favorite book at a local library or bookstore story time or to a senior at a local assisted living facility.
Option 3: Little Free Library Project
- Help to encourage literacy and share your love of reading in the local community by creating a neighborhood library: https://littlefreelibrary.org/start/
FEBRUARY – Love a Charity
February is a great time to show your favorite charities some love by making an extra contribution or volunteering your time and talent.
Option 1: Spread Love with Valentine’s
- Make and deliver Valentine cards and spread love to those needing it the most.
- Senior Citizens in Assisted Living or Nursing Home Facility
- Patients at the Local Children’s Hospital
- Fire Fighters, Police Officers, or EMT’s in the Local Community